Free and simple word processing program
- Reads and writes OpenOffice and Word documents
- Very light on resources and simple to use
- Not many advanced editing features
- Requires add-ons to carry out spell-checks etc
Most people think of Microsoft Word when it comes to word processing, but the software can be pretty expensive if it doesn't come as default. Try an alternative like AbiWord.
AbiWord can read and write all standard industry document formats, ranging from open source efforts such as those created in OpenOffice, to those created in commercial apps such as Microsoft Word. It also features support for WordPerfect documents, Rich Text format documents, HTML web pages etc.
Although AbiWord's editing options can't compare with Word, we like the fact that it is a very light word processor that doesn't take up much more processing power than even Text. This makes it especially suitable for those working on slower machines that don't have a decent word processor installed.
What's also nice is that AbiWord is fully customizable with several different plugins to extend its capabilities. These can vary from format converters, document importers and thesauruses to image importers and a text format manager.
AbiWord may be basic but it's generally an impressive word processing app that has everything you need to edit simple documents.
- Significant OpenDocument filter improvements Fix a potential crash when more than 2 people are collaborating on a document and one of the collaborators disconnects Improved MS Write filter support